How is soap made?
- Soap is made when oils are mixed with lye and water (or other liquid) and a reaction occurs called saponification. In cold-process soap making (the process for our soaps), this reaction can take days or weeks to be complete. Soap is cured for at least a month to ensure the process is complete and no lye remains in the soap.
- All of our soaps are superfatted, which means slightly more oil than lye is used so that extra oil remains in the soap. This makes our bars extra moisturizing and gentle.
So, it’s like Fight Club? (this question is for the guys I know you were thinking it)
- Not exactly. No humans (or animals) are harmed in the production of our soaps. We use only vegetable oils.
How long will my soap last?
- Our soap is meant to be used, and you will find it at its best within 6 months of purchasing it. We cure all of our bars for at least a month so when they get to you they are long-lasting, mild and ready to use. Since we use only essential oils, the scent will begin to fade over time and you will likely find much of the scent gone after a year. Soap is not like wine it does not get better with age.
What is the shelf life of your body products?
- Our lip balms, lotion bars and body scrubs are all fresh made when you receive them to ensure you get all the great benefits of the luxurious oils that are in them. Since they are preservative free, they are best used within 6 months.
What is a lotion bar and how do I use it?
- A lotion bar is a little piece of moisturizing heaven that is quickly becoming a customer favorite. It is a combination of rich, moisturizing butters, beeswax and luxurious oils that are formed into a solid bar that looks kind of like soap. When you rub the bar on your skin, the oils melt and you are left moisturized for hours. Unlike regular liquid lotions, it does not contain any water, so is concentrated moisturizer that does not need a preservative.
Will any of your products melt?
- Yes, some of our products are meltable. Our lip balms and lotion bars both contain butters that will melt in high-heat (over about 90 degrees F), so please don’t leave them in your car in the summer. Since we’re shipping from Texas, it is at your own risk to order these products in the hot summer months (June-August).
- Tip stick the balms or bars in the fridge for an hour or 2 and they will firm right up.
Why don’t you make any fruity scented soap, like strawberry or raspberry?
- We have chosen to use only pure essential oils to scent our products, and some scents are just not available straight from the plant. Fragrance oils often contain phthalates and other artificial additives that we choose not to include in our products (read more about our ingredients here). Plus, we love how real our scents smell. They smell like the real thing because they actually come from the real thing. Trust us, you will love the difference.